Football match
The 2013 FA Cup Final was an association football match between Manchester City and Wigan Athletic on 11 May 2013 at Wembley Stadium in London, England, organised by the Football Association ( FA ). It marked the 132nd final of the Football Association Challenge Cup ( FA Cup ), the universe ‘s oldest football cup contest. It was Wigan ‘s first FA Cup final examination and Manchester City ‘s one-tenth. En route to the final, Manchester City defeated Watford, Stoke City, Leeds United, Barnsley and Chelsea ; Wigan Athletic pulsate Bournemouth ( after a replay ), Macclesfield Town, Huddersfield Town, Everton and Millwall. The match kicked off in the early evening in front man of 86,254 spectators and was refereed by Andre Marriner. After a scoreless first half, Manchester City ‘s Pablo Zabaleta was sent off for a second yellow tease, becoming the third player to be sent off in an FA Cup concluding. One minute into injury time, Wigan Athletic won a corner kick which was taken by Shaun Maloney : Ben Watson outjumped Jack Rodwell and headed the ball over Joe Hart, the Manchester City goalkeeper, and into the finish to secure a 1–0 acquire. The cup was jointly lifted by playing captain Emmerson Boyce and club captain Gary Caldwell. Wigan Athletic ‘s Callum McManaman was named as man of the catch.

Manchester City and their semi-final opponent Chelsea had already qualified for the trace temper ‘s Champions League by virtue of the clubs ‘ league positions. Wigan Athletic secured a plaza in the group phase of the 2013–14 Europa League rival after they had won their semi-final against Millwall. Nine days after the final, Wigan Athletic made an open-top bus topology tour of the township to celebrate the FA Cup victory. Manchester City sacked coach Roberto Mancini two days by and by, confirming rumours of the coach ‘s destine before the match. Wigan Athletic failed to avoid relegation from the Premier League, becoming the first base baseball club to have won the FA Cup and be relegated from the highest tier of English football in the same season .

background [edit ]

The worldly concern ‘s oldest football cup rival, [ 1 ] [ 2 ] the FA Cup is an annual knockout tournament involving professional and amateur men ‘s football clubs in the English football league system. The final examination of the 2012–13 FA Cup was the 132nd to be played since the tournament was beginning held in 1872. [ 1 ] Manchester City were making their tenth appearance in an FA Cup final since the cabaret was founded in 1880. [ 4 ] They had won the cup five times ( in 1904, 1934, 1956, 1969 and 2011 ) and were runner-up four times ( 1926, 1933, 1955 and 1981 ). [ 5 ] Conversely, Wigan Athletic were making their first appearance in an FA Cup Final since the club was founded in 1932. [ 5 ] [ 6 ] Manchester City had won both Premier League games between the sides during the regular season. They secured a 2–0 victory at the DW Stadium in November 2012 with second-half goals from Mario Balotelli and James Milner and a 1–0 win the follow April at the City of Manchester Stadium after a late goal from Carlos Tevez. [ 7 ] [ 8 ] [ 9 ] The concluding was being played before the last two games of the Premier League season, [ 10 ] [ 11 ] with Wigan Athletic in eighteenth station in the league, 40 points behind Manchester City in second position. [ 12 ] Manchester City had beaten Wigan Athletic in each of the most recent seven Premier League matches between the sides. [ 13 ] Wigan Athletic ‘s lead scorer during the even season was Arouna Koné who had 13 goals, 11 in the league and 2 in the FA Cup. [ 14 ] Sergio Agüero led the marking for Manchester City with 15 goals during the season, including 3 in the FA Cup. [ 15 ]

road to the final [edit ]

Manchester City [edit ]

As a Premier League team, Manchester City entered the 2012–13 FA Cup in the third round, in which they were drawn at home against EFL Championship team Watford. Midway through the beginning half, Tevez gave Manchester City the head with a release bang from around 25 yards ( 23 megabyte ). Costel Pantilimon then saved a Fernando Forestieri shot for Watford. One moment before half-time, Gareth Barry doubled Manchester City ‘s run with a heading. In second-half stop clock, Manchester City academy player Rony Lopes scored from conclude range to secure a 3–0 victory for his english. [ 16 ] [ 17 ] In doing indeed, he became the baseball club ‘s youngest ever goalscorer at the old age of seventeen years and eight days. [ 18 ] Manchester City progressed to a fourth cycle meet against fellow Premier League side Stoke City away at the Britannia Stadium. Despite hanker spells of possession for the chew the fat team, the beginning one-half ended scoreless. David Silva struck the Stoke goalpost and Tevez saw shots saved by the Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sørensen, before Pablo Zabaleta converted a cross from Agüero with four minutes remaining. Manchester City won the match 1–0 and progressed to the fifth round where they faced Championship side Leeds United at the City of Manchester Stadium. [ 19 ] Yaya Touré gave Manchester City the lead in the fifth minute, taking the musket ball past Leeds United goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown and scoring after a pass from Tevez. Agüero then doubled his side ‘s precede when he scored from the punishment spot after he had been fouled by Tom Lees. Tevez scored Manchester City ‘s third from close stove soon after half-time before Agüero scored 15 minutes from the end of the match to secure a 4–0 victory. [ 20 ] In the quarter-final, Manchester City ‘s opponents were Championship club Barnsley at home. Tevez scored the first goal for Manchester City in the eleventh minute after Silva ‘s volley rebounded off the goalpost. Aleksandar Kolarov and Tevez then scored in quick succession to make it 3–0 at half-time. Five minutes after the interval, Tevez completed his hat-trick, scoring from Samir Nasri ‘s communicate. Midway through the moment half, Silva scored after his initial nip was kept out by Barnsley goalkeeper Luke Steele to make it 5–0, which was the final score. [ 21 ] In the semi-final, Manchester City faced defending FA Cup champions Chelsea for the beginning meter in the competition since 1971, the match being held at Wembley, a neutral venue. [ 22 ] Ten minutes before half-time, Manchester City took the lead. Agüero ‘s inject bounced off Chelsea ‘s defender César Azpilicueta and the ball fell to Nasri who scored. Vincent Kompany then shot off-target shortly before half-time, and two minutes after the time interval Barry ‘s hybridization found Agüero, who headed the ball into the Chelsea finish off the post while goalkeeper Petr Čech remained inactive. Demba Ba then scored by Pantilimon to reduce the deficit for Chelsea but the meet ended 2–1 and Manchester City progressed to the concluding. [ 23 ]

Wigan Athletic [edit ]

Premier League side Wigan Athletic ‘s FA Cup campaign besides began in the third base round, in which they faced League One english AFC Bournemouth at the DW Stadium. Roberto Martínez made nine changes to the team that had played in the league four days earlier. [ 24 ] Eunan O’Kane scored for the visit side towards the end of the first base half with a strike from distance. Wigan Athletic hit the Bournemouth crossbar twice in the moment half before they won a penalty after Simon Francis fouled Maynor Figueroa in the area in the seventieth minute. Shwan Jalal saved Jordi Gómez ‘s penalty kick but Gómez scored from the recoil to make it 1–1, and ensured the tie would need to be settled in a replay. [ 25 ] At Dean Court ten days late, the match was settled by a single goal : in the first half, Bournemouth ‘s Harry Arter conceded possession of the ball to Mauro Boselli whose shoot from around 20 yards ( 18 meter ) flew into the top corner of the goal, securing a 1–0 acquire for Wigan Athletic. [ 26 ] They were drawn against non-league team Macclesfield Town in the fourth round. To avoid postponement, bamboozle had to be cleared from the pitch at Moss Rose on the morning of the game. Six minutes into the match, Thierry Audel fouled Callum McManaman in the Macclesfield penalty area and Gómez scored the resulting penalty to give Wigan Athletic the spark advance. The base slope had several opportunities to score, including a header from Audel from 6 yards ( 5.5 thousand ) which went square to Wigan Athletic ‘s debutant goalkeeper Joel Robles. Macclesfield ‘s appeals for a penalty late in the equal were turned down by the referee and Wigan Athletic won 1–0. victory gave them their second appearance in the fifth round of the FA Cup since the establish of the baseball club. [ 27 ] In the fifth round, Wigan Athletic were drawn away against Championship team Huddersfield Town. McManaman gave the visit side the lead in the 31st minute, shooting into the lead corner of the goal after a pass from James McArthur. Five minutes before half-time, Koné doubled his side ‘s leash after Gómez had passed from a McManaman cross before McArthur made it 3–0 when he scored in the 56th infinitesimal. Lee Novak scored with a header from a Calum Woods cross to reduce Huddersfield Town ‘s deficit but with a minute of the match persist, Koné scored his second gear to secure a 4–1 win for Wigan Athletic. [ 28 ] Their quarter-final opponents were Premier League side Everton whom they faced at Goodison Park. Wigan Athletic scored three goals within four minutes in the first half : merely after half an hour, Wigan Athletic ‘s Figueroa opened the score when he headed in a corner. McManaman then doubled the contribute when a mistake by Phil Neville allowed him to take the ball past Everton ‘s goalkeeper Ján Mucha and dart. Gómez then struck a long-range fritter into the Everton goal to make it 3–0, the concluding grade. The acquire ensured Wigan Athletic would play in the first FA Cup semi-final appearance in the club ‘s history. [ 29 ] Wigan Athletic ‘s fifth appearance at Wembley Stadium saw them face backing side Millwall in the semi-final. In the foremost one-half, Koné ‘s intersect found Shaun Maloney who volleyed the ball past David Forde in the Millwall goal to give Wigan Athletic the contribute. With twelve minutes of the match persist, Wigan Athletic broke out of defense and Gómez ‘s pass found McManaman who took the ball round Forde to double his side ‘s lead. Wigan Athletic won the match 2–0 and progressed to the first gear FA Cup final in the club ‘s history. [ 30 ]

peer [edit ]

Roberto Mancini Manchester City ‘s director Roberto Mancini ‘s status was a matter of speculation before the final. Before the match, it was reported in The Daily Telegraph that director Roberto Mancini ‘s job was under menace after he failed to lead Manchester City to a defensive structure of their league title. It was suggested that the Málaga director Manuel Pellegrini was to be Mancini ‘s successor. [ 31 ] The referee for the match was Andre Marriner who had officiated at Wembley Stadium twice previously, at the 2010 FA Community Shield and the 2010 Football League Championship play-off Final. He was assisted by Stephen Child and Simon Long, Anthony Taylor was the fourth official and Gary Beswick acted as the modesty assistant reviewer. [ 32 ] Manchester City were considered hard favourites to win the couple by the british media. [ 33 ] [ 34 ] Wigan Athletic wore the club ‘s black away kit for the final examination, used the aside team dressing board and were allocated the East end of the stadium. Manchester City fans occupied the West end and the team played in their home kit after winning the mint flip to decide who would wear which kit out. [ 35 ] ticket prices for the concluding started at £45 and were available at £65, £85 and £115, with a £10 deduction for concessions. [ 36 ] Manchester City received an initial allotment of 25,000 tickets, late increased to 31,779, and Wigan Athletic requested 21,000 tickets, former increased to a 25,000 allotment. [ 37 ] [ 38 ] Despite expectations in the media that Pantilimon would retain his position as the Manchester City goalkeeper for the final, he was dropped to the substitute ‘s bench in place of Joe Hart. [ 34 ] [ 39 ] Before the match, Mancini said “ I decided this because I wanted this for this game but it does n’t change anything … We know Costel is a dear keeper. ” [ 40 ] Manchester City had no wound problems, Touré being included in the team after suffering from a muscleman trouble. [ 41 ] [ 42 ] Manchester City made eight changes to the starting line-up from their previous match, a Premier League game against West Bromwich ; merely Hart, Nasri and Tevez keeping their position. [ 40 ] [ 43 ] Antolín Alcaraz returned to the Wigan Athletic starting batting order after recovering from a tear hamstring in identify of Gary Caldwell, and Figueroa was ruled out with a groin injury. [ 40 ] [ 42 ] [ 44 ] [ 45 ] Ben Watson dropped to the substitute ‘s bench and was replaced by Gómez. [ 40 ] [ 45 ] Wigan Athletic adopted a 3–4–3 formation, and Manchester City played as a 4–2–3–1. [ 46 ] The kick-off meter for the final was 5:15 post meridiem as opposed to the traditional 3 p.m. This was controversial, particularly with involve to both sets of supporters facing difficulties in guaranteeing train tape drive back to the North West of England after the match. [ 47 ] The secretary of the Manchester City Supporters Club stated that “ not only does it show that [ the FA ] do n’t care but it shows that they do n’t know ”, and a spokesperson for the Wigan Athletic Supporters Club noted that “ The FA do n’t think about stuff like unseasoned children of four or six years old potentially not getting family till 2 ante meridiem if they are travelling by coach. ” [ 48 ] It was besides the subject of a cross-party early day motion in the House of Commons. [ 49 ] Wigan Athletic owner Dave Whelan led out his team before kick-off along with coach Martínez. [ 40 ] [ 50 ] The traditional pre-match anthem, “ Abide with Me “, was performed by musical quartet Amore alongside the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. The national anthem was besides performed by Amore with the Band of the Grenadier Guards. [ 51 ] Paralympic football player Dave Clarke and David Bernstein, president of the FA, were introduced to the teams prior to kick-off. [ 40 ] In the United Kingdom, the match was televised by ITV and ESPN. [ 32 ]

drumhead [edit ]

first half [edit ]

Wigan Athletic kicked off the match around 5:15 post meridiem in front of a crowd of 86,254. [ 52 ] Two minutes into the game, Zabaleta made a run down the right wing and crossed the ball, which took a deflection before falling to Silva whose volley was blocked by McArthur. Agüero was then fouled by Alcaraz on the boundary of the Wigan Athletic punishment area but Tevez ‘s subsequent free kick was blocked with the ball finding Touré whose shot was pushed away by Robles. In the ninth minute, Wigan Athletic ‘s McManaman made a run down the right side of the deliver after a pass from Koné. He cut inside and struck the musket ball from around 8 yards ( 7 megabyte ), but his shoot went wide of the Manchester City post. Wigan Athletic then enjoyed a spell of pressure before Silva ‘s 18th-minute shot for Manchester City was blocked. Midway through the half, Maloney ‘s shot from around 30 yards ( 27 m ) was off-target before Matija Nastasić failed to score with a long-range strike for Manchester City. In the 29th moment, Silva passed the ball into the Wigan Athletic penalty area and found Tevez, who stretched to shoot, but Robles made a spare with his boot. Tevez ‘s inject from the corner of the Wigan Athletic penalty area was besides high before Gomez ‘s hit from 25 yards ( 23 thousand ) was blocked by Kompany. With nine minutes of the one-half remaining, Alcaraz ran through the center of the pitch and passed to McManaman who went rung Nastasić, before his shot was blocked by Zabaleta. Nasri ‘s cross was then headed off-target by Silva. In the 41st infinitesimal, Zabaleta ‘s shot was blocked but the ball fell to Barry whose curling strike was saved by Robles. Just before half-time, Robles saved Nasri ‘s 20-yard ( 18 megabyte ) scene and the half ended 0–0. [ 40 ]

irregular half [edit ]

Neither slope made any changes to their play personnel during the interval and Manchester City kicked off the second gear half. Two minutes in, McCarthy ‘s dart was wide before Agüero ‘s undertake to grudge was defended by Emmerson Boyce. A recess from Barry was then headed onto the roof of the Wigan Athletic net by Kompany. In the 54th moment, Manchester City made the foremost substitution of the game with Milner coming on to replace Nasri. On the hour tag, Zabaleta became the first gear musician of the match to be shown the yellow card after he committed a professional disgusting on McManaman who had made a break for Wigan Athletic. In the 64th minute, Gomez ‘s shot from 25 yards ( 23 molarity ) went over the Manchester City crossbar before Kompany tackled McManaman after the Wigan Athletic actor had dribbled past both Silva and Gaël Clichy. Five minutes late, Jack Rodwell was brought on in place of Tevez in Manchester City ‘s second change of the crippled. In the 72nd minute, Roger Espinoza fouled Milner who took the leave exempt kick himself, from which Rodwell ‘s heading was straight at Robles. Nastasić was then booked for a disgusting on McManaman before Maloney ‘s cross struck the Manchester City crossbar. In the 81st moment, Wigan Athletic made their beginning substitution, with Ben Watson coming on to replace Gomez. Three minutes late, Kompany received a hapless pass from Clichy in the kernel circle which Koné intercepted. He passed to McManaman who was fouled by Zabaleta around 30 yards ( 27 thousand ) from the Manchester City goal. As a result, Zabaleta was sent off after receiving a second base book, and became the third player to be dismissed in an FA Cup final. Barry was then shown the scandalmongering poster for bringing down Maloney. In the concluding minute of the match, Wigan Athletic won a corner which was played in by Maloney. Watson beat Rodwell to the ball at the near post and headed it inside the army for the liberation of rwanda post of the goal to give Wigan Athletic the lead. Three minutes into blockage time, Robles was booked for time-wasting and Manchester City brought on Edin Džeko for Barry. A moment late, the final examination pennywhistle was blown and Wigan Athletic had won the match 1–0, securing the FA Cup for the first time in their history. [ 40 ]

Details [edit ]

Manchester City

Wigan Athletic
Man of the match

  • Callum McManaman (Wigan Athletic)[54]

Match officials

  • Assistant referees:
    • Stephen Child (London)[32]
    • Simon Long (Cornwall)[32]
  • Fourth official: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire)[32]
  • Reserve official: Gary Beswick (Durham)[32]
Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Penalty shoot-out if scores still level.
  • Seven named substitutes.
  • Maximum of three substitutions.

Ben Watson (pictured in June 2013) scored the only goal of the final. Ben Watsonscored the entirely goal of the final .

Manchester City Wigan Athletic
Total shots 15 15
Shots on target 12 7
Ball possession 52% 48%
Corner kicks 5 3
Fouls committed 11 5
Offsides 4 2
Yellow cards 3 1
Red cards 1 0

The cup was jointly lifted by playing captain Boyce and club captain Caldwell. [ 56 ] Wigan Athletic ‘s McManaman was named man of the match. [ 54 ] On 20 May, Wigan Athletic had an open-top busbar go of the township to celebrate the FA Cup victory. [ 57 ] Zabaleta became the third player to be sent off in an FA Cup final, after Kevin Moran ( in the 1985 final ) and José Antonio Reyes ( in 2005 ). [ 58 ] [ 59 ] [ 60 ] As FA Cup winners, Wigan Athletic received £1.8 million from the FA Cup Prize Fund, and Manchester City earned £900,000. [ 61 ] Sporting Life described the succeed as the “ biggest FA Cup final examination shock ” since Wimbledon ‘s frustration of Liverpool in the 1988 concluding. [ 62 ] other commentators went further with Fox Sports, BBC Sport and FourFourTwo all saying it was one of the biggest shocks in the competition ‘s history, and bookmaker William Hill agreeing. [ 63 ] [ 64 ] [ 65 ] [ 66 ] In a statistical analysis performed by Forbes, the 2013 final was the tenth-biggest “ surprise ” consequence in the history of the FA Cup. [ 67 ] european newspapers besides commented on the shock absorber result, La Gazzetta dello Sport, Die Welt and Le Figaro all noting the historical significance of the event. [ 68 ] [ 69 ] [ 70 ] Wigan Athletic lost their adjacent Premier League equal, a 4–1 defeat against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, and were consequently relegated to the Championship. In doing so, they became the first club ever to have won the FA Cup and be relegated from the highest tier of English football in the same season. [ 71 ] Mancini was dismissed days after the final with the golf club owners citing that he had “ failed to achieve any of the club ‘s targets, with the exception of reservation for future temper ‘s Champions League ”. [ 72 ] His assistant, Brian Kidd, took impermanent commit of the baseball club and they ended the season with a 2–0 victory at Reading followed by a 3–2 home kill by Norwich City to finish irregular in the Premier League. [ 73 ] [ 74 ] Because Manchester City and their semi-final adversary Chelsea had already qualified for the follow season ‘s Champions League by virtue of their league positions, Wigan Athletic had already gained a place in the group stage of the 2013–14 Europa League competition by winning their semi-final match. [ 75 ] They failed to progress to the hard stagecoach, finishing buttocks of Group D. [ 76 ] Pellegrini was appointed as the full-time replacement for Mancini in June 2013. [ 77 ] Defender Joleon Lescott late reflected that “ it was a little moment wyrd on the good morning of the concluding. We were eating breakfast together and the TVs were on with Sky Sports News report that Mancini was going to get sacked ”. [ 63 ] In early June, Wigan ‘s director Martínez left the club and joined Everton, being replaced at his former club by Owen Coyle. [ 78 ] [ 79 ] The concluding trace a bill television audience of 9.4 million. [ 47 ] Despite the criticism of the early even kick-off time, the BBC confirmed that subsequent finals would be started at a exchangeable time as function of their new consider to broadcast the final from 2014. however, the broadcaster agreed to schedule the match as the last game of the domestic season. [ 47 ] Wigan Athletic defeated Manchester City again in the one-sixth round of the following temper ‘s FA Cup, winning 2–1 at the City of Manchester Stadium, [ 80 ] but failed to retain the trophy after they lost in a penalty shoot-out against Arsenal in the semi-final. [ 81 ] The 2013 finalists met for a third base FA Cup tie in the 2017–18 tournament where Wigan Athletic, then in League One ( the third gear grade of English football ), won the fifth round tie 1–0 at the DW Stadium, [ 82 ] which was described by BBC Sport as “ one of the biggest fa Cup giant-killings ”. [ 83 ]

References [edit ]

bibliography [edit ]